A “The Sentry” investigation on Wagner Mass Atrocities in Central Africa
Investigation on “Looting and Killing Machine” Wagner Group Committing Mass Atrocities Against Civilians in Central Africa
CNN in association with The Sentry: June 14, 2021 (New York, Washington DC, and undisclosed locations in Central Africa)
The Sentry released a report on CNN which documented the atrocities committed by the Wagner Group in the Central African Republic (CAR). The investigation revealed that the brutal actions against the population were systematic and planned. The NGO found proofs of executions, looting, civilians being kidnapped, rapes on a massive scale and torture.
The Sentry proposes financial sanctions against all the entities related to Wagner.
– As investigators found out that brutality was committed in cases the institution is corrupted, organizations should speak out.
– Both the European Union and the United Kingdom can and should apply instruments such as their Global Human Rights Sanctions regimes.
– The report calls for an end to political support for the regime of Faustin-Archange Touadéra.
– The United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) should, after further investigating into crimes it can respond to under its mandate, take action to protect the population.
– The UN Working Group on the Use of Mercenaries should build on its recent statement on the alleged activities of the Wagner Group and launch a full and comprehensive investigation
– Also private companies can and should act. Banks as well as actors in the financial market should conduct customer due diligence to disclose links between Private Military Companies (PMCs) and the CAR.
The Wagner Group and related entities and individuals are currently subject to sanctions designations by the US Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).